In order to achieve your flying goals, you want to have the right tools for the job. In flying, this inevitably means laying your hands on a wing where the balance between performance and comfort/passive safety is just right FOR YOU. Determine precisely which wing fits this bill has always been the tricky bit, but with the introduction of the new UP Summit XC4 it has just gotten a whole lot easier!
When we get to go flying, we want to make sure that our equipment is not the limiting factor to neither enjoyment, goal-fulfilment or distances achieved. We often hear the statement that “it isn’t the wing, it is the pilot”, yet this statement somehow just doesn’t capture the true issue at stake here; when I go flying, I want to have the best, highest-performing wing that I can safely handle, because this is the best way to ensure that my precious flight won’t be interrupted earlier than I had hoped for and expected. The Summit XC4 was built with this basic premise in mind.
In general, we like to think of this new glider as a more agile, more comfortable Summit XC3 – it certainly has the performance and the handling of such a wing, only it is even more relaxed to fly. It also has a tick more freestyle dynamics than the predecessor – the Summit XC4 LOVES to play, with huge, coherent wingovers and lots of energy retention. This makes it a great toy for dynamic soaring on a beautiful beach somewhere, and it doesn’t hurt to know that SHOULD you accidentally overcook it a bit, the wing will look after you really well.
As a high-performance wing, the Summit XC4 utilises unsheathed lines throughout (except the main brake line). The unsheathed lines are stronger and cause less drag than their sheathed counterparts, something which contributes substantially to the very high performance of this new wing. The speed system is designed for ease-of-use and a very flat polar all the way up to the substantial-top speed.
The new Summit XC4 comes in 3 all-new standard colour combinations (see below) and can be ordered in custom colours at a surcharge.
In the box: Ergonomic Backpack in size L except for the S size, which comes with the M backpack as standard, new Parasleeve 2, compression strap, UP gift, UP sticker
- New Generation “sharknose” Aerofoil, to maintain optimal internal pressure at all angles of incidence,
- FSS* and RSS to maintain aerofoil integrity at all angles of incidence as well as improve collapse resistance,
- New riser design with efficient C-steering ability,
- Optimised aspect ratio of 4.8 (projected)**, to improve gliding performance and energy retention on fast, turbulent glides,
- Brake Tensioning System (BTS2), helps us to achieve the class-leading climbing performance and improves handling,
- BB pulleys used throughout on the speed system for a soft, efficient speed bar,
- Speed system which changes the AoA differently across the span, leading to more stability at high speeds, rare collapses and more benign reactions to collapses (hence the EN B rating),
- Our 3D panel shaping leads to fewer wrinkles in the canopy, better performance and higher collapse resistance,
- Low-drag line layout means minimum drag and better performance,
- Swept-back wingtips for improved handling, better climbing,
- Mini ribs in the trailing edge for perfect trailing edge definition improved handling and climbing, and a more comfortable ride,
- Optimised combination of Dyneema and Technora lines for best longevity and a stable AoA even in strong turbulence, no unwanted pitching upon thermal entry,
- Handling and feel a perfect mix of Summit XC and Trango XC Series, meaning extreme efficiency with high fun-factor!
*) Front Section Support system/ Rear Section Support system; Nylon battens in leading- and trailing edges, respectively
**) 6.3 flat A/R
|Surface area flat (m2)||21,1||23,5||25,5||27,0|
|Surface area projected (m2)||17,9||19,9||21,6||22,9|
|Flat span (m)||11,5||12,2||12,7||13,1|
|Projected span (m)||9,3||9,7||10,1||10,5|
|Flat aspect ratio||6,3||6,3||6,3||6,3|
|Projected aspect ratio||4,8||4,8||4,8||4,8|
|Total line length incl. Brake (m)||223||233||241||249|
|Total # of lines incl. Brake||196||196||196||196|
|Total canopy weight||5,1||5,3||5,6||5,9|
|Takeoff weight (kg)||65-85||75-100||90-115||100-130|
|Top surface front||Porcher Skytex 38 Universal|
|Top surface thin stripe||Porcher Skytex 38 Universal|
|Top surface broad stripe||Porcher Skytex 38 Universal|
|Top surface rear||Porcher Skytex 38 Universal|
|Bottom surface||Dominico 30DMF|
|Cell walls||Porcher Skytex 40 Hard|
|Gallery lines||Edelrid 8000U-130/090/070/050 (Aramid unsheathed)|
|Middle lines||Edelrid 8000U-200/130/090 (Aramid unsheathed)/Liros DC200 (Dyneema unsheathed)|
|Main lines||Liros DC300/DC200 (Dyneema unsheathed), Edelrid 8000U-230 (Aramid unsheathed)|
|Brake lines||Cousin 989-1,5 (Dyneema ummantelt)/ Edelrid 8000U-090/050 (Aramid unsheathed)|